WHY TOUR WITH
Our BBQ Bus Milford Sound day tours offer travelers a truly unique and interactive experience, with a focus on providing every passenger with a day to remember. Tours have limited seats to ensure everyone can enjoy the best kiwi hospitality that we have to offer and all of our tours include a delicious kiwi style BBQ lunch cooked by your driver guide, as well as a great commentary, stunning Milford Sound scenic cruise, and plenty of great additional sightseeing!
Find out more
About the business
Established in 1994, Milford Sound BBQ Bus is the original Bus from Queenstown to Milford Sound.. A fun and interactive bus tour, we pride ourselves on providing a truly intimate experience for our guests. Martin Bell, the third owner bought the business in 2014, bringing with him over 23 years experience with New Zealand wildlife and 8 years experience as a tour bus driver/guide on the Milford Road.
A MESSAGE FROM MARTIN (MARTY)
“Hi, I was born in Wellington, New Zealand but have spent a great deal of my life in the South Island. My first job, aged 17, was in a commercial chicken hatchery where I worked for 3 years developing specialised skills in incubation, later to be useful in the artificial incubation and captive management of some of New Zealands most endangered species.
I worked for the NZ Wildlife Service, the Department of Conservation, and the Auckland Zoo. In 1999, I moved to Queenstown with my wife Paula and sons David and Andrew so I could work at the Kiwi Birdlife Park where I continued working with endangered species. From 2008, I began driving tour buses around the lower South Island with many regular trips to Milford Sound. In my spare time, I also like to paint New Zealand wildlife and have sold many originals and prints to clients from all over the world. Some days you’ll catch me wearing my Scottish family kilt. I’ve also been known to play my bagpipes at Milford Sound. I enjoy sharing a little of my knowledge and experiences with the people who travel with me to Milford Sound.
My staff and I look forward to meeting you and providing you with an experience of a lifetime in one of the most beautifulplaces in the world.
Our Eco Commitment
- We use small buses (8-15 seats), reducing our carbon footprint while at the same time providing small group experiences for our clients.
- All of our cutlery, plates, and cups are reusable.
- We recycle our print paper where possible.
- Our meat is from Woodlands Butchery, Invercargill, the salad is from South Island Fresh Foods in Christchurch and the bread is from Queenstown Bakery. All produced in the local region.
- We are an authorized Department Conservation Concessionaire. DOC management fee and concession fee for operating our tours in the Fiordland National Park is used to manage and maintain the National Park.
- We use low energy long life light bulbs in our home office.
- We use ‘Insinc’ environmentally friendly window cleaner to clean our bus windows.
- ‘Eco store’ or ‘Next generation’ environmentally friendly dishwashing liquid is used to clean our dishes after the BBQ lunch.
- We separate our biodegradable waste from non biodegradable waste during BBQ lunch.